Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pennsylvania Spartan Sprint Summary

Thankfully, I ran a clean race. Yep, no burpees. The spear throw stuck right in the middle. The rope climb was quick. And the bucket carry felt "light" compared to the bucket I used for training (different rocks, I guess). Finished 6th in Saturday's Elite Heat filmed by NBC.

As usual, I start a few rows back. One, I don't feel like I belong on the front line. And, two, I can go out at a slightly easier pace and work my way up. However, after the first mile, most people up front were spread out, and I found myself alone most of the time. At that point, I was comfortably in 8th.

To my surprise, I caught up with David Magida on one of the climbs/hikes and was able to keep a very short lead. He sprinted by me on the sandbag carry going downhill, and I took the lead again on the way back up. Brutal sandbag carry area. David just ran the Death Race a couple of weeks ago, so I'm sure he'll put me in my place at the next race.

I held 7th place until the bucket carry, which is where I caught up with Glenn Racz and was relatively close to Junyong Pak. Both had to do burpees on the log hop, which was the only reason I caught up to them. And I almost lost it on the log hop.

Pak easily stayed in front of me thanks to his speed and endurance and finished almost two minutes ahead of me. Glenn was a close 7th and only about 10 seconds behind me.


Injury? Something popped/tore in my right shoulder when I started the monkey net / cargo bars obstacle just before the finish. Will have to baby it for awhile.

Shoes blowout? Yes. They're shot. But Reebok is going to refund me for them, since this was only the third race, and they're designed to hold up to these races.


Next up? DC on July 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment